Friday, October 19, 2018

Pursuing clarity through openness, part 1: motivation

I expect this will prove to be the first of several, perhaps many installments.

I recently engaged in a 'tweet storm' with the initial intention of sharing an epiphany that allowed me to move forward with this project, or will if and when I have more time to give to it. Over the course of that tweet storm I realized that I'm more than a little confused about what I'm doing here, but also made some progress at addressing that confusion.

My primary purpose here is to achieve greater clarity for myself, but I also intend to lay my thinking open for others, and hope that it may take on a life of its own and no longer depend upon my completing some project.

I'm going to assume that any readers of this blog are at least familiar with the notion of harmonics, and I won't bother arguing their applicability to melody, nor their relative merits as compared with the twelve step equal tempered scale and all of the theoretical epicycles that have grown up around it.

I'll also make no attempt to represent the alternative theory of music called Just Intonation, nor the community of practice that has grown up around it. I am not a musician, but am drawn to making musical tools, and have invested thousands of hours to that end, with more than nothing to show for it.

In the next installment, I'll introduce a few basic concepts. The challenge for me will be to give them names I can live with until someone better informed about musical terminology comes along. The ideas are simple enough, but they do defy succinct description.

Part 2: harmonics, intervals, integer ratios, and powers of primes

No comments:

Post a Comment