Monday, March 26, 2018

name change

When I decided to start a second Twitter account for my music-related programming efforts, I reconsidered naming and decided to use the handle "harmonicLattice" to shift away from a focus on integer ratios and towards the idea of tonal structure based on harmonics. Integer ratios are still very much part of it, just not as blatantly so as they were in RatioKey.

Since then, I have also opened a gitHub account using the same handle. While I have yet to put anything there, my intention is to use this account to post some code as open source. (Details to be forthcoming if and when this actually happens.)

Now I have also changed the name of this blog to "Harmonic Lattice" although the URL remains unchanged, to keep from breaking any links to it which might exist out there in the wild.

That's not to say that this will be the name of any new app (if and when), but it does provide a glimpse at the direction in which I'm working in my efforts to create one.

I have made progress towards this, but a great deal of work remains to be done, and I won't hazard a guess as to when it might be ready for initial submission to the App Store.

I say initial submission, because I fully expect to not gain acceptance on the first try. Standards are higher than they were in 2010, and I've been out of the loop enough that I may have forgotten or be unaware of certain requirements.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

dream => crawl => walk

I am making some progress towards creating a replacement (yet to be named) for RatioKey. Of course, that is no guarantee it will ever be published, but I'm feeling more hopeful in that regard.

I'll post any real milestones here, but if you would like to follow this project in more detail, I've created a Twitter account just for that: @harmonicLattice. That handle contains a hint about what I'm currently working on, but only a hint.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Version 1.1 has become an embarrassment

Rather than subject myself to the tension of wondering whether Apple would choose to remove RatioKey 1.1 from the App Store, I have chosen to remove it myself. My apologies to the handful of you who might still have found some value in it.

I can't promise that I will ever manage to publish an updated (reconceptualized) version, but it is still my intention to make the attempt, although that project may not bear the same name.

Thursday, January 28, 2016

RatioKey partially broken in iOS 9.2.1

Well, it's been a good run, far better than I had any right to expect, but after five years RatioKey 1.1 is no longer entirely functional.

I was already gearing up to do an update, but this development adds some urgency to that intention.

I'm still undecided about whether to support anything at all from version 1.1 since it was less than thoroughly well thought out. Some elements will most likely make it into version 2.0, but certainly not the very difficult to use keyboard arrangement. Expect something really quite different!

Time frame? Can't say with certainty, but the project is moving from the back burner to the front.

Friday, August 14, 2015

progress report

I now have code that I believe will do the job of feeding sample values to iOS's sound output system, using the new (as of iOS 8) Audio Engine facility, and I've begun work on the rest of the app (a complete rewrite) that I think will prove more interesting, in part because it will no longer have to complete renders while the sound system is waiting for input, which should eliminate artifacts caused by a lack of timely input.

Before I can test what I've already written, I'll need to complete some other parts of the app, but that is a matter of making time for it; the part I had only the vaguest idea how to do is already done, assuming it's correct.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

outdated assumptions

I have just discovered that, as of iOS 8, Core Audio no longer requires either C or fixed-point sample values. This hugely simplifies the task at hand!

At least my difficulty in putting together enough time to get anything done has saved me from having any code to speak of that needs to be rewritten.